Monday, January 16, 2006

Sam and Harry's NEVER AGAIN

Picture this, ten people going out to dinner, a lot of money is going to be spent, nobody cares about prices or limiting what they should or shouldn’t have. It is the holidays - eat and drink what you want. Isn’t that how you want your office holiday dinner to be? However restaurants are my nemesis. I love nice dinners and great service ; I don’t mind paying for them either. On the other hand, I hate average food and rotten service , which is an apt description of Sam & Harry’s, Fort Worth’s latest venture in to the apparently unknown territory of the steak house.

Upon arrival I immediately notice a sign for valet yet there is no valet to be found. We waited (remember 10 people 5 cars) 5 min for someone to arrive to tackle this crazy notion of car parking. – Bad Start-

Once inside the east side of the Worthington hotel it is obvious that they do not have our reservations. This is a sore spot with me considering I made the reservations and called to double -check them. We wait while they set up a table. I find myself thinking this is a bad sign. It is the Saturday before Christmas and they have a table for 10 open at 7:30pm.

We get our menus , which I believe are a fairly standard thing for most restaurants. If places don’t have menus they usually have a chalkboard. We weren’t at a chalkboard kinda place. I bring up the menus because mine offered no entrees. I did have two sides of identical appetizers and salads. The husband’s menu offered last week’s specials and this week’s specials. He, of course, had no appetizer selections. You can imagine the hijinks that ensued when we both had to order from two different menus. The phrase “can I get another cocktail” is ringing in my ears.

Speaking of cocktails. It seems that at S&H you must wait 25 minutes for your first cocktail. This is an extremely bad way to start out any party. It is a horrible way to start out an office gathering.
Angry quick hits :
· The husband was away from the table and they didn’t ask me if he wanted anything to drink. I feel as though I have known him long enough to make and educated guess on what he would like to drink.
· I ask for a straw. I believe this is a common bar staple. The straw they brought for my Grey Goose and soda would have been more appropriate for a Super Big Gulp. There is something foolish about a 4 in glass and a 15 in straw.
· They ran out of Crown Royal. At a steak house.
· They didn’t have any Skyy Vodka.
· Someone ordered a mojito and instead of saying “Hey we don’t do that here, we are a steak house” they make this person wait 45 min to get them a drink (apparently mint is something hard to find in a major downtown hotel) the only good part of this is that it wasn’t me.
· The wine list was its own course. It didn’t come with the menus. It arrived after we were on our second round of drinks. Perhaps they only have one and they have to share.

The food was completely unremarkable . Boring expensive steaks, Boring veggies. Note to S & H: Yo, I make good mashed potatoes...if you would like the recipe give me a ring.

The main sentiment I left with was: eat at Del Frisco's, eat a melt-in -your-mouth buffalo steak at Bella Italia, or eat at Silver Fox. Please, just eat somewhere else.

Restrooms – Oh, sure I just love to take and elevator up two flights to go to the ladies room.

Highlight of the night was a guest visit from Robin and Sarah, friends from New Braunfes.

I have a new irritation. While adding links to this post I was bombarded with music, loud office disturbing music, on the S & H site. I believe web sites should be like children, seen and not heard.

3 comments:

Steve said...

I couldn't agree more on the very last point...websites should be seen and not heard.

Dick Logan said...

I could hook you up with a great steakhouse, but it's in northern Utah. It's one of the only places in our (mormon) town where they are happy to bring you drink after drink, and don't bring you the check halfway through your entree.

Anonymous said...

That would be great, however the drive home would be a bitch.