Wednesday, January 18, 2006

The Evocative Singer

Tonight on Fresh Air, Terry Gross was interviewing Joe Henry, an artist with which I have a little familiarity from my days as an alt-country maven. In recent years, Joe has branched out and begun a second life as a sought-after producer. He was on the show pimping his new album, I Believe to My Soul, in which he presents great soul singers from the past with interesting new arrangements. I really liked what I heard and will be buying the album.

In the interview, he hit upon a subject that I had mused about in the past. He mentioned that he cared as little about the vocal gymnastics frequently associated with soul singers as he cares about self-indulgent guitar picking (I immediately thought Joe Satriani). Instead, he sought singers that could be evocative. In some of the cuts they played on the show, it was clear what he meant. However, his subjects were both evocative and immensely talented singers.

When I think evocative, the first person that comes to mind is Townes Van Zandt, who by just about any estimation is not an immensely talented singers. Consider Townes's original version of Pancho and Lefty side-by-side with the version made popular by Wille Nelson and Waylon Jennings (both talented singers). After hearing the Townes version, I can't really listen to the Nelson version. Sure, part of this is the silly 70's over-production, but most of it is Townes evocative voice. It's this voice that imbues his songs with so much meaning and emotion that I'm willing to overlook his obvious shortcomings as a singer. Warren Zevon comes to mind as well as an artist whose evocation trumps talent. Consider his version of Poor Poor Pitiful Me up against the many remakes.

I'm keenly aware that others would rather listen to fingernails on a chalkboard than hear Townes's voice, but this was a small epiphany for me as to why I like the music I like.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Obviously, with me being perhaps the biggest Bob Dylan geek who ever lived, followed closely by the Boss(despite his leftness), I too am a fan of the singer/songwriter. I prefer Townes/Dan Bern/ Steve Earle/Robert Earle and the hugely underappreciated John Hiatt to those that cover their songs. Maybe it's because I can't sing either.

Anonymous said...

You should try out Ike Reilly's first album, SALESMEN AND RACISTS, which is perhaps my most-listened-to album since BLOOD ON THE TRACKS

Anonymous said...

Or Dan Bern's album NEW AMERICAN LANGUAGE, particularly BLACK TORNADO

Steve said...

I'm with you on Dylan, Steve Earle and John Hiatt, but I'm not familiar with the other cats. I haven't listened to Blood on the Tracks lately but Idiot Wind has always had a place in my heart.

Anonymous said...

I actually like talking and listening to liberals. Every once in a while they have a valid point, but mostly they are just misguided. My favorite Dan Bern tunes are Black Tornado, Marilyn, Sweetness, God and Are you gonna follow your soul. I just fast forward over the overtly political stuff. Ditto Steve Earle, Devil's Right Hand and Hard Core Troubadour are easily better than any of his political stuff.

Ike Reilly must not be forgotten, especially his first album, Salesmen and Racists

Steve said...

Tell me about "Heartworn Highways"...sounds right up my alley. Guy Clark...it doesn't get much better than L.A. Freeway. I used to know all the words to Tom Ames' Prayer but I can't seem to pick them out now. Something about Nacadoches.

There's obviously a zillion great singer songwriters we could discuss, but if I had to see anyone live it would be Joe Ely.