Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Blarnia II

Just in case my viewpoint wasn't clear on the previous post, I view Aslan the big fluffy friendly lion in the Narnia series a little bit like I view Joe Camel. Gandalf in Lord of the Rings is also culpable.

Which is not to say I don't support the rights of both C.S. Lewis and Camel cigarettes to advertise their products how they see fit. We have to live with these fraudulent portrayals...caveat emptor.

Update: I don't have a problem with kids enjoying a fantasy kiddie story with a big fluffy lion. I do have a problem with the way the hordes of evangelical Christians, unaware of my "apathetic atheism," give me the ol' wink-wink "my family saw Narnia this weekend...did you." These are the same people that continually drop the name of their church to try and elicit a response from me to see if I'm one of the gang. Let your kids enjoy the movie, buy the stuffed animal at Burger King, and leave me alone about it...lest I endorse the Mouseketeers as sponsors of Marlboro.

No comments: