Sunday, March 05, 2006

Back

I don't know which excuse works best for my extended absence. I was in a training class last week, so I had no blogging time at work. Then I've been on a four-day jag that finds me on the porch late on Sunday night drinking Mexican beer out of a can and smoking a cigar that's been riding around in the bed of my truck.

I'm glad Hustle and Flow won and Oscar tonight for their Pimp song. Anything to go get more people to watch that excellent movie. Crash won best picture in what I believe was backlash against Brokeback. I saw Crash and it was good...but not best picture good (no cripples or homos). I think the message of Crash was that there's a bunch of racism and it sucks and there's likely to continue to be a bunch of racism - which sucks.

On to the news: regardless of my feelings about the Dubai port deal, we're seeing the repercussions of inept political leadership at the White House. The wheels are off. I'd be pissed if they had handled something which I support in such a ham-handed way (like tax reform, for instance). The only thing even approaching this for sheer silliness is that Hillary was unaware that Bill was helping the Dubai folks out while she was railing against the deal. It's no surprise that they're personally out of sync, but it is a surprise that there political machine is out of sync.

As for my views on Port-gate, I can see both sides of the issue and have softened a little. If I had any trust that our government had a shred of competency, I may trust that due-diligence had been done and support the deal. However, I don't and as a member of the Anti-Stupidity party I'm going to have a tough time believing a word they say. (The platform of my party is, "don't support people that are stupid" - and both major parties are currently out of favor. Since the GOP has all the power, and are, therefore, the only party that can "do" anything, they'll be getting the bulk of the hate mail.)

No comments: