Friday, March 10, 2006

Wrong message?

Bush said, ""I'm concerned about a broader message this issue could send to our friends and allies around the world, particularly in the Middle East."

I see where he's coming from but I think I disagree (big surprise, huh?). Aren't we really saying that there's a pretty high standard to participate in the global economy and if you want to have diversified (non-petroleum) economies, you need rigidly prove you don't associate with terrorists?

And I think it also tells the executive branch that a fully globalized economy isn't and end unto itself...globalization also should have a major security component. It appears this deal was rubber-stamped by the economic branches of government and shows a frightening decoupling of economic policy from security policy despite all the inter-agency cooperation that was purported to have been accomplished as a result of 9/11.

Our goals should be to eventually have strong trade interactions with Arab and Muslim countries because not only does this help them elevate their economies, but it gives us strong leverage to insist they crack down on terrorists using and abusing their countries.

I also think the WTO should play a larger role insuring global trading partners are not associated with Islamic anarchists.

4 comments:

Dick Logan said...

I rarely find myself agreeing with Bush, but I actually think he's right in this case. Bush laid down the law--you're for us or you're against us--and the UAE came down in the "for us" camp. Being "for us" has to carry some tangable benefits for the leaders of muslim states, because associating with the US is not politically popular in those countries.

Anonymous said...

Relying on the UN or the WTO is like relying on me not to drink all the beer. Like relying on Woody Allen as your bouncer. Like relying on Angeline Jolie not to seduce your husband(or wife, not that I would have any problem with that, as long as I could have the video). Like relying on Metallica to play gospel tunes. Like relying on Michael Jackson to watch your kids. Like relying on Courtney Love to stay sober....

Anonymous said...

Like relying on you for a good simile.

Anonymous said...

If I would have had one, or hadn't been drunk, I would have used it.