Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Busy week

I've had limited time for posting this week, I'm learning about intercorrelation and multi-collinearity. But I have an interesting story on immigration. Yesterday in downtown Fort Worth we had what passes as a protest here. There was about a thousand Mexican teenages marching through the streets and howling. As is usual for downtown Fort Worth, there was also a large police presence: horseback, bikes, cars, and on foot.

I was following the protestors around just for kicks and all of the sudden cops came screaming from all directions. I arrived at Fifth and Main, nexus of the problem (and location of my friendly tobbaconist.) Apparently some girl took a swing at a female cop on a bike. Next, her boyfriend took a swing at a male cop on a bike. It wound up worse for the male, because the cop threw him through the window of a parked truck. I missed the actual cop-protestor violence, but saw them get arrested and saw the truck get towed. The cops quickly diverted all traffic to avoid any rioting. It was nice to see the horseback cops finally have to do some real work.

Anyway, I'm not sure how much good the protest march did for the cause. The violence probably caused a whiplash effect.

No comments: