Friday, March 31, 2006

Flag Woes

The Mexican flag has been at the center of much of the controversy surrounding this week's immigration demonstrations around the country. The snap-judgment goes like this: what's the logic in waving the flag of the country you're trying to get away from? Or more crudely: if you like Mexico so much, why don't you go back? But I think these people miss the point. The Mexican flag is simply being used as a symbol of their heritage...and that happens to offend some people. Much like Southerners claim the Confederate flag is a symbol of their heritage...and it offends people. Why do I feel the people complaining loudest about the Mexican flag are the same people defending the Confederates?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not me, bub, I have never understood waving the Dixie flag, rebels for what, slavery? nor do I get multiculturalism, nor waving the flag of the country you are dying to escape from. Idiocy abounds.