Wednesday, March 08, 2006

For the love of God...

Check this out:

A Gallup report released today reveals that more than half of all Americans, rejecting evolution theory and scientific evidence, agree with the statement, "God created man exactly how Bible describes it."

"They are "not so quick to agree with the preponderance of scientific evidence." "

Though it goes against every fiber of my belief in privacy and personal freedom, I think these people need to wear signs on their backs. Something discreet saying, "Don't try to be logical with me," or "God on board" would be fine.

The anti-science/pro-ghost stance of the Bush administration is just fueling this fire so I think Bush should be the first to wear a sign. Maybe "I was told there is no math."

As a person overly educated in statistics, I'm more than aware of how high the bar is to claim "correlation." The following summary of their regression analysis sums up why I'll never be a Republican:

"Several characteristics correlate with belief in the biblical explanation for the origin of humans. Those with lower levels of education, those who attend church regularly, those who are 65 and older, and those who identify with the Republican Party are more likely to believe that God created humans 'as is,' than are those who do not share these characteristics."

Putting on my elitist cap, I translate that to cretinous riff-raff, people who go to bed early on Saturday night, dying old people with nothing to lose and grasping for hope, and Bush/Robertson Republicans. Not a very fun bunch.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Hoplessness is the fertile soil in which religion flourishes.