Friday, March 24, 2006

Watch Out For Atheists

I have to confess that this surprised me a little bit.

From a telephone sampling of more than 2,000 households, university researchers found that Americans rate atheists below Muslims, recent immigrants, gays and lesbians and other minority groups in “sharing their vision of American society.” Atheists are also the minority group most Americans are least willing to allow their children to marry.

and...

[Penny Edgell, associate sociology professor and the study’s lead researcher] believes a fear of moral decline and resulting social disorder is behind the findings. “Americans believe they share more than rules and procedures with their fellow citizens—they share an understanding of right and wrong,” she said. “Our findings seem to rest on a view of atheists as self-interested individuals who are not concerned with the common good.”

Maybe I really don't belong here.

3 comments:

Dick Logan said...

Doesn't count unless you're a Mo' either.

Anonymous said...

Here is what I THINK people don't like about SOME atheists. They can be intrusive.....in other words, they are the ones telling people they can't pray in schools, or at games, etc. Now I am a Christian, but I am not offended by Hebrew symbols, buddism, etc. Nor am I offended when someone tells me they are atheist. It's their business. But when some atheists come out and say that you can't put out Christmas trees, because they might be offended, then it rubs people the wrong way, this is what they grew up on, and what's so fucking offensive about it anyway?

Anonymous said...

Now I realize that people feel the same way about the religious right, and I agree with them too! It is supposed to be a nation of TOLERANCE and RELIGIOUS FREEDOM, it seems we have neither. The most intolerant, however, appear to be radical islamists.