Thursday, March 23, 2006

PSA

As a Public Service Announcement, you should know that cops are now patrolling inside bars looking for drunks. I think they're bound to find some.

And here's the rationale according to TABC Commissioner Carolyn Beck, "We feel that the only way we’re going to get at the drunk driving problem and the problem of people hurting each other while drunk is by crackdowns like this.” Sure she's worried about drunk driving, but she's got some other social ills in mind, "People walk out into traffic and get run over, people jump off of balconies trying to reach a swimming pool and miss.” Those are the people that need saving.

This woman is not living the reality-based community. If she keeps this up, the restaurant and bar owners trade association will become more powerful than the Teamsters and the AARP combined. Maybe that's the final showdown I'm looking for with the religious right. The Evangelicals pitted in a death match with restaurant and bar owners and their patrons.

Actually, maybe there's a political solution that I can be a part of. We need to have a referendum to make the TABC Commissioner an elected position. I will gladly serve in this capacity if the good citizens will elect me and I will tirelessly support their mandate to do nothing (beyond building a tent out behind my office where I can smoke cigars while I do business.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Her comments fly in the face of what they are doing, anyway. They arrested some sorry dude, in a hotel, WHERE HE WAS STAYING. it's like Baylor University, all over again, for me.

Steve said...

I see this as state-sponsored terrorism. They seek to impose their puritanical ideas on us, while mixing in with the population. To echo the complaints of soldiers returning from Iraq, you can't tell who the terrorists are.