Saturday, January 26, 2008

SC/Florida Political Roundup

I have to say I'm heartened by the results coming out of South Carolina showing Obama with a very large lead. Last week's troubling win-at-all-cost intercession by Bill Clinton on behalf of his wife was at the very least unbecoming a former president and probably very enlightening to many left-leaning independents. While it appears that part of the victory was due to a large African-American turnout, I still want to believe that independents are gravitating towards the uniting Obama and against the divisive political hatchet-job machine of the Clintons. I shudder to think of a Clinton general election and possibly a presidency. Things were incredibly divisive with Bill, become ten times as divisive with Bush, and I fear would be 100 times worse with Hillary. I feel now, more than ever, that it is time to end the Bush-Clinton dynasty.

That said, the Republican primaries seem to have devolved into the predictable dick-measuring, bible-thumping, fear-mongering and flag-waving that it always does. If given the choice between McCain and Robo-Romney, I'd clearly take McCair despite his warmongering consistency. Throughout the Bush administration he hasn't been afraid to ask for accountability. And frankly, while I don't think the Democrats are proposing this, precipitous withdrawal from Iraq would be a mistake. Going into Iraq was a bicentennial calamity, but what's done is done. It's like sunk cost in economics...you can't think about money already spent when evaluating the path forward. What's done is done. Now what do we do from here?

Thankfully, it appears that the Huck-demon has been exorcised. I hope Ron Paul stays in and throws bombs as long as he can, although his version of libertarianism is anathema to me. I'm also thankful that the megalomaniac Giuliani seems to have been neutered, lest we best Orwell.

By the way, I read somewhere that our new Attorney General had put a portrait of Orwell on his office wall. How long until the election? I'm hoping for the following question in a future debate:

MR. RUSSERT: Would each of you support an AG that hung a portrait of Orwell in his/her office?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Life was good with Bill Clinton as President. I don't understand the hatred of the Clintons. Is it jealousy that Bill got a blow job...what is it? I'm not understanding.

Anonymous said...

I have a question about Obama. His voting record shows that he is more liberal than Ted K, who endorses him and wants to pull out of Iraq and reverse the tax cuts. Exactly how is he going to unite the Republicans with the Democrats?

It sounds good, but he really reminds me of the movie, "The Candidate".

Anonymous said...

Great question. I'm waiting on that answer myself. I don't see how TK's endorsement could win over any crossover votes for Obama. According to a blog post I saw on Edwards blog, Obama wrote in his book that people "admired his youthful strut," so maybe he's depending on that in Washington.