Thursday, January 17, 2008

No Title

I haven't had much heart to blog lately. My heart hasn't been in it and my brain has been dormant. The dreary, seemingly endless holiday season sapped all of my vacation days while returning very little in the way of fun. Constant managerial shakeups at my employer. Political ennui stemming from the primary season. The turgid end to the Cowboys season. The bitterly cold weather that I will wake up to in the morning. I don't believe there's an English word to describe my state of mind, but there's probably one in German.

I've spent the first part of the week at an "off-site" meeting with my new boss. When I darkened his door at 7:30 AM the other day, I have to admit I was a little shocked to be greeted by life-size cardboard cutouts of Kirk, Spock, and Picard, among thousands of dollars worth of Trekkie memorabilia. I can't express the internal conflict in going from his holodeck-inspired A/V room, to his immaculately garaged Lamborghini, then out onto the yard where horses, dogs, cats, and every manner of fauna frolick unabated.

It takes far less than this to drive me to drink, but drink seemed the only refuge short of a Kerouac inspired road trip. I needed something predictable...reliable to screw my head back on. Luckily the lunchtime mafia was settled in at the speak-easy at about two (I can't give away names or places). After the four-hour lunch, we spent time at the former Pirates' Cove and the unfortunately-name Mule. My head was screwed, but not yet screwed-on.

Now I can't sleep, or see straight, and am accompanied only by a lifeless cat curled up like a breakfast pastry. What's to say? I have no wisdom to impart to you, dear reader. There's a shitpot of gas wells up in the north country, but that will come as no surprise. Also unsurprising, there's an assload of traffic on local highways that makes me glad I usually am able to reach work on major arterials. The cat just left and Dell is notifying me that if I do not find a power cord, I face impending death. As the clock nears three AM, I must look elsewhere for inspiration. The book beside me promises no solace, and I dare not turn on the TV...I'll go get the power cord.

No comments: