Friday, January 18, 2008

Germania

A girl from Germany has been hanging around my gang lately. She's from Cologne (Koln). There will be more to come later, when she sends me some pics from back home. I've been pretty relentless in questioning her about German psychology in the wake of the holocaust. Apparently and appropriately, the feeling is giant communal grief and regret which has manifested itself in a kind of anti-nationalism. Saying "I am German" is completely verboten. Flag flying doesn't happen. She says it's way too early in the healing process. Actually saying that your German doesn't happen, so large is the the communal grief over the actions made sixty-five years ago. She also told me of copper cobblestones laid at the entrance to houses formerly owned by Jews. They list the names of the disappeared. No German steps on these cobblestones.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

As her what she thinks of some of the American Kolsch beers, like St. Arnold's Fancy Lawnmower or Pyramid Curveball...

(As you may have guessed, Kolsch is a style of beer originating from the Koln region of Germany.)

Steve said...

Seems like I heard a question about that style of beer recently. Maybe it was on KERA's Anything show. Maybe you asked it... I dunno. I'll ask.

Unknown said...

I answered a question on there a few weeks ago (well before Xmas) about Rauchbier.

Kolsch is one of my favorite styles of beer, but it can be a little off-putting at first. It's refreshing, but it kind of has to grow on you.

MrZog said...

I have had similar conversations with a girl near Munich. It came up when she mentioned she would like to change her citizenship to CR. I couldn't imagine what would drive a person (especially a young one) to consider the change. I told her what I thought and she described the same suppression you described above. Amazing.