Wednesday, January 02, 2008

2007 Best Of Fort Worth

First of all I would like to give thanks to the Famous Grouse, who has made this possible. Thanks to the folks that contributed. Unfortunately, this is a monarchy.



Song/Album that you dug the most (doesn't have to be released this year): Tin Soldier by the Small Faces. Forty years ago, but I had to go through hell to find it.

Book: The Road - Cormac McArthy. I read a ton of books this year, but none was as moving as this Pulitzer Prize winner.

Accomplishment: I accomplished nothing other than getting the blog back up. My wife has yet to murder me and the cats are all happy.

Prescription Drug: Xanax

Technology: 500 Gig external hard drive.

Shoe Store: That online shoe store that sells the flip-flops I like. The ones with the silly bottlecap openers on the sole. I can't remember the name.

Place to get a haircut: I like Sundance Hairstylists. Joe is missing a few fingers, which I think helps make the hair wash better.

New Purchase: my second iPod, after I left the first one out in the rain.

Pet: Our Poofus is still the best cat.

Reunion: I guess my 20yr, but it was a catastrophe.

Movie: Ratatouille hands down. Although I just finished "No Country for Old Men" (Cormac McArthy again) last night and I'm anxious to see the movie.

TV Show: The Wire is the best show on TV but I don't think it was on this year. I'll go with the Sopranos. I enjoy Dirty Jobs and Mythbusters as well. The Wire started its final season Sunday and I aim to enjoy every minute. Keep your eye on Snoop.

Spanish Language show that you watch but don't understand: El Rojo Vivo or some such. News show at 4pm with the two hottest Latinas you've ever seen.

Thing you've subbed out: Everything lawn related.

Addiction:Malady/Disease/Infection/Sore that won't go away: Got this thing on my elbow...

Day Bar: Shamrock. I can usually be found there at 3pm on Saturdays.

Nightspot: Oui Lounge

Drink: Chivas Rocks

Patio/Al Fresco Dining: This is an area where I think FW needs improvement. I'll cough up an out of the way joint...The Point. It's by Lake Worth, has good bar food and a great view.

Restaurant: Sapristi. While Del Frisco's rarely disappoints, Sapristi offers such a variety of great options that you don't get at a steak place. I've definitely had my most enjoyable meals this year at Sapristi. Sunday Brunch is awesome.

Lunch: My favorite lunch place, The Parthenon, went the way of the dodo. The best place to have lunch in FW is Bella Italia. It'll cost you, and it's best to know someone. It's damn near a private club, and that's the way Chef Carlo wants it.

Dinner: Steak at Del Frisco's. Plain and Simple.

Entree: I'd be remiss if I didn't mention my favorite Mexican food. This year I've become enamored with the Milano de Res at El Asadero. Mexican chicken fried steak that is three kinds of delicious.

Appetizer: Fried Oysters at Del Friscos. I was there the other night and we ordered them as an appetizer. This guy we were with liked them so much he ordered up a humongous plate as an entree.

Burger: Lili's Burger with the gorgonzola dressing is about the best thing I've ate all year.

Soup (the most anticipated category): Caldo de Pollo at El Asadero. If you have a cold or allergies, this will help.

Pool Hall: I think I've played 'em all, and Rusty's has the best tables to lose you money on.

Bar Tables: They all suck. Get the straightest stick you can find and shoot 'em hard...don't let the crooked table f you up.

Note on Pool: If you're really serious about playing pool on a good table with good sticks, email me.

Best Beer: Anywhere, but I like Swithwick's on tap at Shamrock.

OK, I'm done for this year. Let me know if there's something I've omitted.

No comments: