Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Thoughts on the King Service

As you know, I like nothing better than seeing Bush get gigged. This is exactly what happened today at Coretta Scott King's service, when a preacher and Jimmy Carter pretty much excoriated Bush to his face. Preacher Lowery said:

We know now there were no weapons of mass destruction over there / But Coretta knew and we knew that there are weapons of misdirection right down here / Millions without health insurance. Poverty abounds. For war billions more but no more for the poor.

As much as I'd like to rationalize this as Mrs. King going down fighting, I think this was disrespectful to Mrs. King and too tactless by half. It did get a two minute standing ovation, and I'll be interested to listen to Ed Gordon tomorrow to hear the response in the black community and whether they anticipate any galvanic effect.

2 comments:

Dick Logan said...

Ms. King's funeral was the only way to get past the presidential bubble. It didn't really bother me (or apparently the attendees) to hear Bush take 30 seconds of critique during a 6 hour service.

By the way Steve, the people who stole your laptop might have done you a favor. I just bought a new one and broke it in by burning 1400 songs (half my CD collection) onto 1 DVD.

Steve said...

The problem I have with what was said by the preacher and Jimmy is this: they're assuming they know what Mrs. King thinks and are therefore putting words into a dead woman's mouth. Maybe she wanted her final sendoff to be punctuated by partisan sniping...hell, probably she did...but maybe she didn't. And my thoughts are that you give the dead woman the benefit of the doubt.