Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Thoughts While Lying Awake at 4 am

The point at which one goes from awake to asleep is a physiological mystery to me.

Was it Nietzsche or one of those communists that said "Religion is the opiate of the masses." Maybe it was Lenin. Too lazy to google it. I do know that Nietzsche said that a casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith doesn't prove anything. Anyway, please alert Bartlett because Steve by god Buckellew has a new quote: Religion is welfare for the simple mind. That's right. How imperious is that? I thought about just saying: Religion is welfare for the mind. That might have been better, but then I'd have to argue with all the C.S. Lewis folks.

I know it's so often quoted as to be a cliche, but the last line from The Great Gatsby is fabulous. Hope I get it right (f it, I'll google). "So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past." True that. Fuckin' brilliant line.

I checked a Nietzsche website to validate that it was a Red that said the above about religion vis-a-vis opiates and ran across this quote, "A woman may very well form a friendship with a man, but for this to endure, it must be assisted by a little physical antipathy." This subject came up in our salon (read: barroom) earlier tonight with divergent opinions, of course. What else would you want in your salon?

OK Pepys...and now to bed. (I'm so embarassed by that but I'm compelled to leave it in.)

No comments: