Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Notes on Super Tuesday

To prove my masochistic bona fides, I watched nine straight hours of Super Tuesday last night on MSNBC. Here's my unusually brief thoughts...

Republicans:
  • I was really surprised by the complete repudiation of Mittens as a candidate. Given how Huckabee suprisingly won all the south, it appears that the rednecks just can't swallow Mormonism.
  • McCain, for the most part, won a bunch of blue states that the Pachyderms don't have much hope of winning in the general election.
  • While McCain is much more tolerable to me than the others, I still worry about judicial appointments and would have trouble pulling that lever for him.

Democrats:

  • I agree with the punditocracy that Obama and Clinton pretty much fought to a draw.
  • One good thing I saw was that Obama did very well in the deep South among white voters.
  • Hillary still owns the Latino vote. Is this a vestige of the ages-old ethnic tension between Latinos and African-Americans? I'd like to see the exit crosstabs on Latinos that would not vote for a black candidate.
  • Will the Texas primary matter? It certainly could. Polling numbers here show Hillary has a huge advantage because the aforementioned Latino vote, but Obama has spent no time or advertising here. He has the cash and it would be interesting to see if he could close the gap. Plus, I'd love to go to an Obama rally. Stay tuned for March 4.

No comments: