Tuesday, April 11, 2006

War On Christianity continues

I was struck by the following headline and subhead in the LA Times today: "Christians Sue for Right Not to Tolerate Policies: Many codes intended to protect gays from harassment are illegal, conservatives argue."

The point the fringe religious right is making is that their religion requires them to speak out against homosexuality, and therefore a university regulation banning the harassment of gays is an infringement on their freedom of religious expression. Isn't this about like Islamists saying that their religion requires them to kill infidels, and therefore laws against murder are a abridgement of their freedom of religious expression? I can't see myself supporting anyone that uses religion to allow harassment of others, but I might support this: I'm sure there's some shit in the bible where God or Jesus or someone says to reap the bounty of the earth...therefore making a plant (pot) illegal limits my religious expression.

No comments: