Thursday, November 03, 2005

Lola - The Three Hour Meal

Lola www.lola4dinner.com –This restaurant is housed in a house that has been transformed into a charming restaurant. I immediately noticed the shaded patio that reminded me of the courtyard at Palmers in San Marcos, TX www.palmerstexas.com minus the big orange cat. This made me wish were there in the spring not the beginnings of fall. As you make your way through the residential style single door opening you are hit with fantastic smells and the sounds of chatting people. Dinner comes in the form of two options; the full menu or the tasting room. We opted for the tasting room. You have your choice of 10 or 14 taste size portions. These are broken up in to 4 courses. A pleasant option is that Chef David Uygur (for a bit more cash) has paired these courses with wines. Giving you to opportunity to try the wine alone and then with food. That is something that I equally enjoy and fail at doing at home. My companions agreed that over all we enjoyed everything. One of us wished for a “bucket” of the sweet potato soup with curry. I would have not complained if I was served a dozen Island Creek oysters with cucumbers. Others loved the seared rabbit rillett with faro, root vegetable and a mustard jus. I would have wished for a full bar. I prefer a savory rather than a sweet something after a meal. Scotch usually fists that description. There isn’t much of a bar, 3 or 4 stools, as the owner decided that cocktails were not needed. This isn’t a place you hang out waiting for friends. It is however a place to have a wonderful meal.

2 comments:

Steve said...

I wouldn't have expected it, but I was a huge fan of the rabbit. These people were able to make turnips and beets taste good.

D said...

I have been dreaming about the soup ever since. And although I know I am the only one at my table, the big winner for me was the foie gras, as evidenced by eating my dinner companions' portions as well.