Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Joe Ely

I hate to take the headline away from more important stories about the election, but I saw the Joe Ely show at Bass Hall tonight. Joe Ely is to me, the best live act I've seen. But Bass Hall ain't his forum...Gruene Hall is better, or a parking lot. But I have to admit I was mesmerized by the first six or seven songs...they were food for my heart, a chance to relax and see a seasoned master at his work. We lucked out and got some last minute seats in a box right on the curve between stage right and dead center. Problem was, the box stageside was populated about six songs in by a couple who had neither bought box seats, cared about the show, or cared about anybody that cared about the show. They spoke at high volume throughout the balance of the show, driving me to near fever pitch. Were it not for my wife (who is not known as a patient sort), I was ready to throw down. I went to seek ushers and none were around such was their disrespect. My wife asked them to pipe down and they seemed to wear hear reproach as a badge of honor and kept on yakking. My fury was honed to a sharp blade by the time the show ended and I was ready to turn into American Yakuza. However my wife kept me from this.

All in all, I hate people that have no respect.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you! I went to the show too with my Dad, we were lucky and got some third row seats from a friend. However, like you, we had to put up with the most annoying drunk 'cowpoke' couple sitting behind us yakking, cutting up, yelling and really just being disrespectful to everyone around them. It's a real shame.

Steve said...

Thanks for the comment, Jeremy. It reminds me of something I saw in the floor seats of the show. Some hillbilly with a definite lack of proper rearing kept his ten-gallon hat on through the show. He was sitting in about the fifth row and he was probably 6'3" or taller. I'm sure the people behind him couldn't see a thing but his hatband.