Thursday, May 25, 2006

Technology Update and Music Review

Were I to stumble upon Steve Jobs at the bar, I would genuflect and beg forgiveness for my dalliances with non-iPod/iTunes products.

Apparently these days one's second anniversary should be celebrated with mp3 players, not wood or tuna or whatever Letitia Baldrige would lead you to believe. My wife gifted me the iPod 60G clydesdale of the Apple stable. While the device itself is light years beyond others I've sampled (and returned only to have the replacement break again), it's the seamless marriage of iTunes software and the iPod that makes this work so well. I avoided Apple products for years because I'm fundamentally against proprietary-ness, but in this case I'm more than willing to live with it.

The iTunes music store is much more expansive than I expected. I've tried to trick it with very deep cuts and local bands and it has rarely disappointed (it doesn't have Tin Soldier by the Small Faces which I'm desperate to find.) Podcasts are readily availble and easily handled by both devices. I'm sure in the other world I'd have to visit multiple sites to get music, TV shows, videos, podcasts, and audiobooks, but in the world of iTunes they are all readily available and simple to acquire. So I'm looking at the frustration of Musicmatch, Windows Media Player, RealPlayer, Rhapsody, eMusic and the rest of their ilk in the rear view mirror. These clunky combinations with all the Windows friendly mp3s are way more hassle than even a moderately tech-friendly guy like me is willing to stomach. Also, the battery life if far superior and the styling is no contest.

So with that, I give you my first iTunes playlist (boringly titled iTunes Playlist1) composed exclusively of songs I've recently downloaded that I did not posess for whatever reason (in no particular order because I shuffle):

Sunday Morning Coming Down - Kris Kristofferson: Been there, dude...a lot. So spare (with the inimitable haunting Hammond B3) and evocative, one wit said you could smell the chicken frying. One of the most lonesome songs since Hank. "...and it echoed through the canyons like the disappearing dreams of yesterday."

Lawyers, Guns, and Money - Warren Zevon: If Hunter S. Thompson had written songs, he'd have penned this one. "Send lawyers guns and money, I'm a desperate man: I'm hiding in Honduras and the shit has hit the fan."

Poor, Poor, Pitiful Me - Warren Zevon: If it weren't for the piano, I'd recommend this song for Six Feet High and Rising...with Susanne singing (like the Ronstadt cover.) "She put me through some changes Lord, just like a Waring blender."

Reptile - The Church: Great catchy hook from underappreciated 80s band that reminds me of some of the great Stone Roses songs.

Hash Pipe - Weezer: I think I denigrated Weezer on a past post or comment as not worth the title of a band that got better with age (with the caveat that I loved Hash Pipe.) I've never owned it...now I do. I'm betting that Hash Pipe is some of their early stuff.

California Stars - Wilco with Billy Bragg: Kicked-up Woody Guthrie capturing the early 20th century ethos of the Golden State. Listen for the fiddle. "I'd like to dream my troubles all away on a bed of California stars."

I Got You - Split Enz: An 80's song that I never heard enough to get burned out on. For some reason I think of the Boomtown Rats.

She Took a Lot of Pills (and died) - Robbie Fulks: Alt-country kitsch. Found on the third installment of the great Insurgent Country set put out by Bloodshot Records. "Nothin' in the world seemed to matter to her so she took a lot of pills and died."

On a Plain - Nirvana: Straight up rock song that moves along like a locomotive. Not beat to death like the other songs on the baby in a pool album.

Loose - The Stooges: Perfect heir to the MC5 as my pre-punk band of the year. Massive bass-line with shock-value lyrics and Iggy taking you on a trip. More than serviceable cover by Alejandro Escovedo's punk side-project Buick McKane (who I saw open for Son Volt back in the day.)

I Am One - Smashing Pumpkins: I'm a bit prejudiced against this band because I see their fans as a bunch of overly pale girls with too-black hair, piercings and an air of vapid pomposity. Once you get past that, they can rock with anyone.

Bullet with Butterfly Wings - Smashing Pumpkins: Just fucking rocks. Once you get the chorus in your head, "Despite all my rage, I'm still just a rat in a cage," it will not leave.

Better Man - Pearl Jam: One of the most sing-alongable songs I've heard. I'm just now getting into the grunge scene. I hear Seattle is the next big thing.

Shambala - Three Dog Night: Great 70's pop that makes you want to howl along. This band had so many great songs and they see the benefit of a great organ...

Never Been to Spain - Three Dog Night: I get addicted to this song every five years or so since Bruce first played it for me in college. I fuck the lyrics up all the time, but you can't get it out of your head.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve, we used to play PPPME, went over pretty well too, I forget why we cut it. Hash Pipe is NOT earlier Weezer, it was on their second most recent album. Will listen to some of the others.

Anonymous said...

Ike Reilly-I don't want what you got goin on

Dan Bern-Black Tornado

The Walkmen-The Rat

Faces-Had Me a Real Good Time

Dylan-Desolation Row and Changing of the Guard

Stevie Wonder-Living for the City

Peppers, new album really good

Mando Diao- Cut the Rope

Rancid-Time Bomb

Clash- Train in Vain

Primitive Radio Gods-Standing outside a....

Metallica-Hero of the Day

Bowie-Young Americans

Steve said...

Coincidentally, I have Faces - Had Me a Real Good Time on my current playlist. However, I'm flat out of Rancid. I think if you're going for the gross-out band name, like Rancid, they could have taken it a step further. Rancid is an adjective...let it modify something! How about Rancid Toilet Detritus? Rancid Scrotum? See what I mean?

Steve said...

I saw that, though there's ample Sugar and Bob Mould...

I haven't checked but I hear there's no Beatles or AC-DC. Luckily I'm flush with both bands.

Steve said...

Weren't there also two Sonny Boy Williamsons?